Mirjam Künkler has received fellowships, grants, and research awards from the Social Science Research Council (SSRC), the British Academy, the United States Institute of Peace (USIP), the Henry Luce Foundation, the Institute for Social & Economic Research and Policy (ISERP), the Tokyo and Nippon Foundations (SYLFF), the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the Center for Interdisciplinary Research (ZIF), Geisteswissenschaften International, the Volkswagen Foundation, the Thyssen Foundation, the British Institute for Persian Studies (BIPS), the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion, Columbia University, the University of Oxford, and Princeton University.
- Since 2008 awarded more than $1.000.000,00 in third party funds.
- 2011-2017. Invited to serve as guest editor of special issues or symposia by the journals Journal of Law and Religion (published spring 2013), Party Politics (published March 2013), Modern Asian Studies (published spring 2014), The American Behavioral Scientist (published July 2016), the British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies (issue submitted), the Asian Studies Review (published December 2016), the British Journal for Middle Eastern Studies (2018,1), Constellations: An International Journal of Critical and Democracy Theory (spring 2018), and the German Law Journal (spring 2018).
- September 2009. Invited to edit book series Islam in Globalization: Representations and Practices with Ashgate Publishers (declined).
- 2012-2014. Convenor of the Princeton-Oxford research cluster on Traditional Authority and Transnational Religious Networks in Contemporary Shi’ism.
- Reviewer of book manuscripts (monographs) for Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press, Brill Publishers, Rowman & Littlefield, Routledge, de Gruyter.
- 2014. PI for a six-month research group on Constitutionalism and Religion at the Center for Interdisciplinary Research (ZIF) at the University of Bielefeld.